Monday, October 24, 2011

Veg Love, part 4 - Eggplant again!

So I totally love eggplant now.  So much so that, yup, it gets 2 posts in my veg love series. 

Baba ganoush. Delicious, creamy, Mediterreanean eggplant spread that I have avoided like the plague for years, even while living in Israel for a year and a half. Because as I said before, me and eggplant.... But wow. Homemade, still warm from the roasted eggplant - amazing. One of the best things ever. When I set out to try to create my own (I was in a mood for dips and I had beautiful eggplant and I thought let's experiment), I discovered a mention online somewhere of how traditional Lebanese baba has an extra ingredient - pomegranate molasses. I cannot seem to replicate that search now, but man am I glad I found it then! I am sure it was the key to how absolutely perfectly this baba came out. I don't actually own pomegranate molasses, but I did happen to have a bottle of Pom in my fridge, and that worked beautifully. 

Fresh bakery bread topped with homemade baba ganoush, yellow tomato slice, and baked zucchini slices. YUM.

Baba Ganoush
Measurements are approximate - add to taste

1 large eggplant
3 T tahini
1/4 C pomegranate juice
1 T lemon juice
1 t salt
1/4 C olive oil

Heat oven to 400.  Price eggplants with a fork and roast on a baking sheet until soft all the way through. 

Remove from oven, cut into large chunks and place in food processor.  Add other ingredients except for olive oil, and pulse.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continuing to pulse until reaching a smooth creamy texture. 

Enjoy!  Especially while still warm from roasting the eggplant.  :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment