Friday, October 21, 2011

Veg love, part 3 - Eggplant!

Ah, eggplant.  Wonderful, tasty, versatile, delicious eggplant.  Me 2 years ago looks at me now writing those words and thinks "who are you?"  3 years ago I could. not. eat eggplant.  I didn't particularly like it, but also my body couldn't handle it.  Always made me feel really sick.  Somehow I kept trying little bits, and started realizing it seemed to going down ok....  I wasn't really willing to risk it though and try a real meal with it.  But then it was Passover 2009, and my lovely friend offered to come over and cook me dinner.  She showed up with what to make?  Eggplant.  I didn't have the heart to tell her my issues with eggplant, and I knew it had seemed like things were getting better, so it seemed time to go for it. 

And man am I glad I did.  The meal she made was delicious and easy, so much so that I had to get the recipe and I made it again the next year with my CSA eggplants.  And more importantly, I didn't feel sick at all, so now I get to enjoy this wonderful addition to my diet! 

And it's purple!  Love purple.  (Photo from Creative Commons, here.)

The link to the recipe she used is here; we just left off the feta (and I think the mint actually).  Served with quinoa, made an excellent meal!

2 comments:

  1. I love eggplant, or aubergine as we call it over here! I just tried the eggplant bacon from Appetite For Reduction & it's SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @vegan.in.brighton

    Aw man, Isa posted a recipe for that combined with scalloped potatoes ... my god I can't wait to try that! :D

    ReplyDelete