Friday, August 3, 2012

Have your cake and eat your greens too

...cake donuts that is.  Made with kale. Yup. Kale donuts. It happened.

[Sidebar edit: For those stumbling upon this post here, come find me and this same post over on my new site: A,B,C,Vegan. Adventures will be continuing over there, and the donuts are now for sale!  Check that out, with other goodies, here. :) ]

I know you all know how much I love kale (seriously), but I don't think even I knew that I loved it enough to make it into dessert.  And then this conversation happened.  And my life changed forever.  (My friend posting and commiserating with this picture is what inspired my first comment.)  After the idea of kale donuts was placed into my head I couldn't. stop. thinking. about it.  I googled it and didn't find a single recipe, so while this scared me off a bit, it also made me want to make it happen that much more.  I had just read about making spinach ice cream the day before, so I decided it had to be doable. And taking on the totally absurd and seemingly impossible makes it just all the more satisfying when you succeed.  (Check out the Blog of Impossible Things for more on that idea!)

So I set out to make it happen, and I am damn proud of the results.  Mission. Accomplished.

Want to eat your greens but really just want to eat dessert?  Now you can.  All in one confusingly delicious package.  These are reminiscent of zucchini bread, but different.  A rich earthiness, but blended with warm spices and sweetened just right.  Oh and of course they're vegan.  Obviously.  :)  With the benefits of drinking a green smoothie for breakfast ... how about a green donut instead?  :D

If you're interested in ordering, please go to my donuts (and other goodies) page here.  I can make them with plain glaze, bourbon, lemon, sriracha, chocolate, unglazed... gluten free... thinking of making a pumpkin variety for the fall... the sky's the limit!  Let me know what you'd like, and we'll experiment with making it happen!


Kale donut. Strange but true.


Really dark picture - but look at those beautiful ingredients.  Do all those greens look like they are making dessert?? 

Alien donuts? 

YUM.

4 comments:

  1. as someone who regularly makes vibrant green spinach pancakes, I do not think you are off your rocker - this is genius. I love kale, I love ALL of these ingredients. might have to give these a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!! And please let me know if you do and have any feedback! I'm excited about these and would love any thoughts on perfecting them. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this recipe!!! Anytime I can put greens into baked goodies is a happy day for me! Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad I could help! Any other recipes you love with greens in baked goods? I need more. :)

      Btw, find me over at http://www.abcvegan.com/blog for continuing adventures - I've moved onto my own custom domain. :)

      Delete