Monday, October 17, 2011

Joy

I want to start this week (week 3 of MoFo!!) with another post on my personal "why"s of veganism.  I wrote briefly earlier about one of the major physical health improvements I've seen.  Today I wanted to talk about a mental health benefit.  I know that when I started on this road it was for health reasons, and I avoided even learning about the animal side of things.  I knew I wouldn't be able to forget that information once I knew it, and I wasn't ready.  However as I've grown into this lifestyle I have learned all of that information, and I can finally say that I am really glad I have.  It is an uncomfortable transition.  The mental disconnect between a. what we've been taught is ok and natural and healthy and good for you and b. our innate nature to be compassionate and our love of animals - that disconnect can be hard to work through and to reconcile.  If it's a slow process for you - I certainly understand. 

But this weekend I had my first experience of truly experiencing the joy that this lifestyle can bring.  I'm not sure I can put into words on wonderful it felt to serve a four course meal where I knew that there was not a single animal-bsed product involved.  My mom and I wanted to say thank you to a group of my friends that had given their time to help us out, and it felt amazing, and so right, to say thank you knowing that our thank you did not cause any suffering.  There was nothing but 100% joy at the table thta night, and that is a feeling I can be really proud of. 

2 comments:

  1. That is the best kind of joy.

    Esther! I'm passing on the Liebster Blog Award to you, because you're such a cool gal and I love your blog thus far! :) Follow the link to see:

    http://blog.happy-vegan.com/2011/10/spicy-black-bean-and-vegetable-soup.html

    Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post and I bet it really did feel great to serve your friends a cruelty free meal. Going vegan is such an easy, simple thing we all can do :)

    ReplyDelete