Thursday, August 16, 2012

Potato eggplant curry

I wasn't sure how to start this post ... so I gave up and ate the leftovers instead.  And oh my god.  I had packed them up in a takeaway container that's useful as Tupperware, and eating out of that container I had a very hard time convincing myself that I wasn't *actually* eating leftover takeout Indian food!  So proud.  Especially since I have NO real idea how to cook Indian.  Or rather, I haven't learned how to cook Indian authentically, but I did a wonderful job convincing myself that I do actually know how, because man did I feel with every bite that I was back in one of my favorite restaurants here.  (Indique Heights - they have this wonderful all-vegan section of their menu. :) )  Another one that's wonderful with a glass of chilled white wine - the cool slight sweetness to counter the curry.  Perfect.



Potato Eggplant Curry

brown rice

1 onion
3 medium red potatoes
3 medium white eggplants
2 small or 1 regular green pepper

(Spice measurements all, as usual, approximate. Add more to taste as desired.)
2 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger or ginger paste
1/2 t cayenne pepper (more if you want a kick)
2 t dried cumin
2 t dried coriander
1 T dried cilantro
1 t sea salt
1/4 C lemon juice
generous coating of olive oil

1. Prepare brown rice as per usual. (Varies based on the brand and whether you are using a stove or a rice cooker, but if you have questions let me know!)  This usually takes about an hour, so get this going first.

2. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Use a generous amount, more than you usually would for sauteing.  Almost enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

3. Chop onions, and add to pan.  Gently stir occasionally while prepping the other ingredients, making sure they do not start to burn.

4. Poke potatoes to allow steam to escape, and microwave for 6 minutes to allow them to start cooking.

5. Chop eggplant and green pepper into large bite sized pieces while onions and potatoes are working.  When potatoes are done, chop them into large bite sized pieces as well.

6. Add garlic and ginger to pan and allow to cook for 30 seconds, stirring to keep garlic from burning.

7. Add potatoes, eggplant, and green pepper to pan.

8. While cooking, add all spices and stir in, including lemon juice.  If pan starts to get at all dry, add more olive oil as necessary, being extra generous.  (This is not a low-fat recipe!)

9. Continue to saute until the veggies reach your desired level of softness.

Serve over rice and enjoy!  I recommend a small amount of rice to a large amount of veggies so as to really let the flavors shine through.



0 comments:

Post a Comment