Saturday, October 1, 2011

Veganizing Your Favorites, part 1 - Pecan Pie

I started this idea a bit with the kugel recipe in yesterday's post, and I wanted to continue along those lines as a good starting place for this blog.  For those new to this world I know it can be daunting to think "what am I going to eat," and to feel like you're never going to be able to have your favorites again.  Well one thing that will happen is your tastes may changes (more about that later), but more importantly, you don't have to give up your favorites!  You can veganize almost anything out there to be just as good, and sometimes even better, than your old favorites.  Today's post is a quick one (I wanted to post something to celebrate the start of VeganMoFo!) to introduce what will be at least a 4 part series for the week on veganizing your favorites.  Today is a recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen; the rest of the set will be my own recipes made up myself as I veganized my childhood favorites.

Potentially there will be a better photo to come when I fix my card reader so I can use my real camera, but here's the iPhone photo for now... :-)


YUM!!!  I can just see Thanksgiving at my grandmother's table as I look at this picture.  She always made pecan pie, and always made me my own 2nd one to take home with me.  Man did I love her pecan pie.  I don't remember if this one tastes exactly like hers, but it absolutely tastes amazing, and exactly like pecan pie should.  The gooey sweetness is absolutely perfect - I can't recommend this recipe highly enough.  

Notes: 1. I used a whole wheat crust; worked beautifully.  2. I had to bake closer to an hour to get it to set properly.  3. SO EASY.  I couldn't believe it; pecan pie seems so fancy.  If you need a nice, quick, elegant dessert, especially in the Fall... here's your recipe.  

9 comments:

  1. You know what's kind of sad, is I've never had pecan pie before! That looks amazing though, kind of like a giant butter tart. And we Canadians are all about butter tarts. It would be great to have that with a Thanksgiving meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about the iPhone camera is that in most situations, it takes totally passable (sometimes great!) photos. I saw this one go by on the RSS feed and was like OH MAN AMAZING PIE PICTURE.

    Thanks for reminding me about this recipe, and for saying that it's easy to make... I think I've been putting off trying it because pecan pie always does sound/look very fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lurve that pecan pie recipe. Growing up in Texas, we always ate the stuff. This is the best vegan one I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Allysia

    And I've never had butter tart! But if it's anything like pecan pie... sounds amazing. You'll have to share a recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

    Thanks Amber!! And thanks for the inspiration! Yay VVC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @coldandsleepy

    Aw thanks! It did come out pretty well - and I only have the 3GS. Glad it brought you here! Totally try the recipe - it's unbelievably easy, and SO yummy. Perfect pecan pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had pecan pie, and I am so excited to try this recipe. Yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @k

    Thank you! Yours will fabulous as well - it's amazing how easy it is to look so elegant. :)

    ReplyDelete